Rocky Point’s story begins in 1911 when the Tampa Automobile Club opened the course for business, making it one of the first golf courses in the state. The course was open for 31 years until the US entered World War II in 1942. During the war, the Federal Government closed the course and built barracks on the property to house prisoners of war.
In 1953, the Federal Government turned the property over to the City of Tampa for $1.00. The City then leased it to J.S. Curly Hurtman for 25 years, who reopened the course with his wife, Merle, in 1954. Merle took over operations when Curly passed in 1957.
Once the lease expired with the Hurtmans in 1978, the City turned over operations to the Tampa Sports Authority – a special district that was created in 1965 by Governor Hayden Burns for the purpose of planning, developing and maintaining a comprehensive complex of sports and recreational facilities for the Tampa Bay area. The Tampa Sports Authority still manages Rocky Point today along with Babe Zaharias Golf Course, Rogers Park Golf Course and Raymond James Stadium.